Food Additives

Sodium benzoate is a preservative commonly found in soft drinks, fruit juices, jams, salad dressings, pickles [because of the vinegar], and some Chinese sauces like soy and mustard. Sad to say, the chemical is also found in silver polish and alcohol-based mouthwash. And what's more shocking? It is also used in fireworks, it is the powder which makes that whistling noise when ignited.

Sodium benzoate are naturally found in cranberries, prunes, plums, cinnamon, ripe cloves and apples. But the presence of this type of salt does not necessarily act to preserve them. You are probably wondering why they have to include it in most foods when it is used to polish metals, well, it's because sodium benzoate kills bacteria, yeast and fungi. It is added in small amounts because if too much is added, the food/drink will have a bitter taste.

It is also linked to hyperactivity. Try to observe your kids after drinking sodas, they could be very active all through out the day and may find it difficult to sleep when bedtime comes. Cutting out on foods containing sodium benzoate, artificial foods and those containing food coloring can counteract most of the adverse effects like attention span and hyperactivity.

*Source: Wikipedia, WiseGeek

13 comments:

Gorgeous MUM said...

happy thursday!

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

I had absolutely no idea about this. AHHHHHH! Some days I just never want to eat again (not really but you know what I mean). thanks for the info!

Gorgeous MUM said...

Enjoy a lovely weekend with your loved-ones!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tip mommy Liz. My daughter don't know all about sodas. She hasn't drink yet since she was born. We don't don't drink soda kase.

Irene said...

ohhh..interesting. I have two little boys that are non stop active. I'll have to check out the stuff in our kitchen for sure.

ellen said...

hello! kmusta na...kmi naman ang bumibista...

Jazel said...

true. I have learned that in my biochem class.nice post. can we exchange link.pls do vist mine.thanks

Lou said...

visiting here liz

Anonymous said...

I used to make home made wines - old English varieties such as parsnip and this was the preservative that was recommended. I had heard recently that their were problems with it. It is E211 and should also be avoided by people who suffer with asthma and anyone with aspirin sensitivity.

A useful little pocket book with all of this kind of information that is small enough to keep in the smallest of handbags is: Collins Gem Guide - Natural and Artificial Food Additives. In England it is sold at a cost of £2.99 - on ISBN 0-00-458992-0
The copy I have lists over 1300 terms and is easy to understand. At the back it also lists E numbers in numerical order.

Deb said...

I have a close friend whose son reacts extremely badly (and very obviously) to red dye 40 - it's really opened my eyes to looking at what's in everything we eat. Great post!

Gorgeous MUM said...

Hello! Wishing you a beautiful last week of July!

Tina said...

I have an award for you over at my place x

http://www.mummydiariesblog.com/2008/07/bbf-award.html

Max Coutinho said...

Hey Liza,

Oh, it is a good thing that we do not eat processed food here at home.

It is true that sodas make kids hyperactive; and that is why I never give it to my nephews (unless it is a special occasion, when I know they will run around like maniacs and sweat the soda off lol)!

This is quite an informational article, thanks!

I gather you had a nice weekend :)! Wishing you a fabulous week...

Cheers

Powered by Blogger.