Instant Karma

Yesterday I was at the supermarket shopping for groceries to be sold at my store. I went there just after I had lunch to avoid the after office rush. After 2 hours I had 5 fully loaded shopping carts. I went to the counter and patiently waited for my turn.

I was already halfway through my 3rd cart when a man (in his late forties I suppose) stood behind my last cart. Seeing my two other carts, he should have left the line and went to other cashiers. But he didn't. He just stood there quietly with his half-filled cart.

As I was finishing my 3rd cart, he started mumbling, but I'm sure he wanted me hear what he was saying. Things like... Oh! That's a lot... and that it's getting late. I didn't bother to look at him. Then he suddenly told the cashier "hey, I'm gonna leave my cart for a moment, I'll be back and don't forget that I'm next to her." (pointing at me) The poor girl just nodded.

He was back in a few minutes, and it seemed that what he did was not enough, he took his cellphone and called someone (his wife maybe). Angrily, he snapped at the person on the other line asking why on earth he wasn't told that there so many people in that supermarket and that lining up is really a burden for him. His voice was so loud that he attracted a lot of attention. People turned around and looked at him with shaking heads.

I really got annoyed with his behavior but I held back and refrained myself from looking at him. Afraid that if I do so I might say something that I know he wouldn't like to hear and could spark a fight. I patiently told myself "Liza, calm down, be cool and just continue unloading your stuff. The cashier even commented (in a whisper) "He should have come early to avoid the long lines." I just smiled at her and shrugged my shoulders.

Finally, I was done, and while waiting for my receipt ( a long one at that), the cash register ran out of paper. Hah! In my mind I was laughing... there goes your Karma... lol. He had to wait another 10 minutes or so for the paper change and for my receipt, which was printed all over again. All I can hear are his sighs and from his gestures, I can see how irritated he was.

But that's not the end of the story yet... when I finally got my receipt, the cashier had to sign out and be replaced by the reliever. Uh-oh! He had to wait for the new girl to sign in after the other one had counted all her sales. This delayed him again... for a few more minutes. Silently, I was laughing to myself... Oh this is such a wonderful afternoon! God really has his ways of getting even for me.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.