The Smart Spice

Do you have a rosemary plant at home? If not, then it's time you have one. It's so easy to grow and you can grow them in pots. Aside from being a wonderful herb, rosemary can make a good ornamental plant. The herb is extremely high in iron, calcium and vitamin B6 and has a reputation of improving memory. Recent research shows that rosemary protects brain cells from free-radical damage. The extract in the herb helps keep us sharp and focused. It also helps lower the risk of strokes and Alzheimer's.

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) is a woody, perennial herb with fragrant evergreen needle-like leaves. It is native to the Mediterranean region. It is a member of the mint family Lamiaceae, which also includes many other herbs.

The name rosemary has nothing to do with the rose or the name Mary, but derives from the Latin name rosmarinus, which literally means "dew of the sea", though some think this too may be derived from an earlier name. (wikipedia)

Rosmarinus officinalis is the Latin name of the herb meaning "dew of the sea." The needle-like leaves, fresh or dried are frequently used in cooking. The herb has a bitter, astringent taste which compliments any dish.

9 comments:

Nisha said...

Hi liza.. i heard of rosemarys bushes but i didnt know it was of such great use.. thanks for the info

I have a tag for you, please do it if you can:)

Have a funfilled day:)

ellen said...

Helllo ate liza...salamat sa dalaw hah...wag ka sana magsasawa...we love you!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know rosemarys have a lot of uses. All the while I thought they're just for decor purposes. Maybe I should start considering getting a pot.

Anonymous said...

Hello Liza ... one additional thing that should make everyone want to own their own rosemary bush is that rosemary makes your hair shine. The leaves should be pulled off the stem - just a small handfull then boiling water poured over them. These contents then needs to be 'brewed' (left to stand) for five minutes before adding a further amount of cold water to cool the liquid enough to rinse through the hair in the final rinse after washing. The result is glorious, lustrous, shining hair.

Anonymous said...

Nice tip. I am going to have to get me one.

Anonymous said...

It's quite a forgiving herb to grow, and can withstand a certain amount of neglect. I know that for a fact! It goes especially well with lamb. I love it.

Irene said...

ahhh...improves memory?? I will have to get some Rosemary. Actually starting an herb garden of sorts sounds like a fun project I should do with my kids.

Thanks for motivating me!!

Carol said...

Here's a great, easy recipe I do using rosemary straight out of my garden. (I don't know if you're a vegetarian...if so, sorry.)

Salt and pepper the inside cavity of a whole chicken. Insert several whole sprigs of rosemary. Stab a large, whole lemon several times with a fork and insert into the cavity along with the rosemary. Salt and pepper outside of chicken.

Place chicken into a crock pot for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Serve with rice and veggies.

My family loves it!

Am going to try polly's hair rinse!

Anonymous said...

I had heard that rosemary helps the memory, but everytime I go to the store to get one, I forget what I wanted!

Kate
www.TheCapodimonteShoppe.com

Powered by Blogger.